Founders Day 2022
James River Day School was founded over 50 years ago by a group of citizens whose goal was to create a nonsectarian, coeducational program offering small classes for grades 1-5. Our school has grown in so many ways since then, and we look forward to sharing highlights of that journey with you.
Please join us on Sunday, October 2, 2022, at 4:00 p.m. for Founders Day. This event will include a panel discussion relating to the history and growth of James River Day School followed by light refreshments and tours of the school. We hope you will be able to join us. See below for more details about the event and RSVP here.
Date: Sunday, October 2, 2022
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Location: Carrington Field House
Dress Code: Casual Attire
Event Format: Panel discussion, followed by refreshments and tours will be offered by faculty and members of our 8th-grade leadership council
- Peter York is the current James River Day School Head of School. Pete has been a member of the faculty since 2008.
- Margaret Daniel has been a member of the faculty since 1982. Margaret currently serves as the 2-4 Team Leader and is a second-grade teacher. She is also an alumni parent.
- Mary Gough is a past member of the James River faculty and an alumni parent. Mary has also served as a James River historian and has compiled the school’s history in written form.
- Jean Meeks is a past member of the James River staff, serving in the development office. Jean is also both an alumni parent and grandparent, as well as a current grandparent.
- Mary Riser served as Head of School from 2007-2017. Mary has remained affiliated with the school as a consultant, supporting professional development and teacher formation, since 2019.
Maryanna Stands has been affiliated with the school in many roles. She is a current parent and parent of two James River alumni. She has served on the Board of Trustees, most recently as the Chair. Maryanna is presently James River’s Associate Head of School for Advancement and Admissions.
Rhonda Sydnor has been a member of the James River faculty since 1996 and is a current member of our middle school faculty team. Rhonda is also an alumni parent.
Sarah Lesko will be serving as our event moderator. Sarah is a current parent as well as a parent of two James River alums. Sarah is our Associate Head of School for Finance and Operations and also teaches middle school math.