From Head of School, Peter H. York:
Our administrative team has continued to closely monitor the appropriate resources to inform our management of the coronavirus (COVID-19). Following recommendations from the Virginia Department of Health, the CDC, and Governor Northam’s recent order to close Virginia schools for two weeks, James River Day School is enacting the following response plan.
- Spring break is extended by one week. James River families, please enjoy this time (today through March 27) with your family. Remote learning, if needed, will not begin until after this two-week break.
- All events for the week of March 23-March 27 are cancelled.
- All lacrosse games and practices are suspended until we return to school.
- Career Shadowing and Career Day are cancelled. Eighth graders will not be making up these dates or work.
- In the event that we are unable to return to campus on March 30, we will begin online learning that week. If this is necessary, I will outline those steps in a later communication.
I regret this disruption in our school year and the inconvenience it will cause for our families. This decision is guided by our goal to protect the health of our students, faculty, staff, and neighbors and do our part to help slow the spread of the virus in Virginia and the nation.
While I am hopeful that school will reopen on Monday, March 30, it is too early to know what impact the coronavirus will have on our community. We will continue to reassess and keep you informed.
I am truly grateful to be part of the James River community. I thank you for your partnership, patience, and understanding during these challenging times. If you need to get in touch with the school, please contact me via email.