At James River Day School, we create an educational experience that shapes eager students into confident scholars, resilient leaders, and compassionate citizens.
Our admissions process allows us to meet families, like yours, with curious and motivated students who would benefit from a James River education and contribute to our community. We’ll get to know each other through the admission process that includes a tour and a Student Shadow Day (grades 1-8).
See below for the steps in the application process. following steps must be completed before an application will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
Kindergarten Admissions Process (Click for details.)
- Complete an admissions application, and submit the application fee. Applications received by mid-January for enrollment the following fall will receive priority.
- Upon receipt of your application, the Enrollment Management Office will contact you for permission to schedule an individual assessment, which most often takes place at your child's preschool (usually in late January).
- The Enrollment Management Office will obtain a teacher recommendation from your child's preschool teacher.
- Your child will then be invited, along with other kindergarten applicants, to attend a group assessment session at James River Day School (usually in mid-February).
- The Admissions Committee will then meet to consider all applicants. Offers of admission and contracts will be issued in late February.
Grades 1-8 Admissions Process (Click for details.)
- Complete an admissions application, and submit the application fee. Applications received by the first Friday of February will receive priority consideration for the following school year.
- Once you submit your application, you will receive the necessary forms to forward to your child’s teacher/school. Follow up with that teacher/school to be sure the teacher recommendation form and transcript have been returned to James River.
- Entrance testing is required as part of the admissions assessment to measure ability along with achievement in math and literacy. An application is required prior to scheduling entrance testing.
- A student visit (Shadow Day) should be scheduled through the Enrollment Management Office for applicants entering grades 1-8. An application is required prior to scheduling the student Shadow Day.
- Once the admissions process is complete, the Admissions Committee will meet to review the application.
- If an offer of admission results, a contract will be issued to the family.