For Rising First through Third Graders
provide structure to track reading progress. Accelerated Reader provides short quizzes to
support comprehension. Suggested points:
- Rising 1st graders - 2 points
- Rising 2nd graders - 4 points
- Rising 3rd graders - 6 points
For Rising Fourth Graders
- Rising 4th Graders must read one book from either series: The Questioneer Book Series by Andrea Beaty or Dragons in a Bag Series by Zetta Elliot.
- One nonfiction book of the student’s choice at the student’s reading level or above.
- One independent book choice at the student’s reading level or above.
How to Take AR Quizzes at Home
- Click on this link. Bookmark it on your computer for future reference.
- On the resulting webpage, click on I'm a student.
- Type in your username and password.
- Note: If needed, Renaissance ID is JRDS-31RC.
- Click on the orange AR box.
- Type in the search box the title of the book you have read.
- Take the quiz.
If you need your username and password or if you have any trouble, please contact Betsy Rhodes at [email protected].
For Rising Fifth through Eighth Graders
- Required non-fiction book is When Stars Are Scattered by Victoria Jamieson and Omar
- Students need to read one independent book choice at the student’s reading level or above.
- The grade-specific books required are:
● Rising 5th Graders must read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate
● Rising 6th Graders must read Lucky Broken Girl by Ruth Behar.
● Rising 7th graders must read Fish In A Tree by Linda Mullaly Hunt.
● Rising 8th graders must read Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Givens Books gives the school a small percentage back on purchases made by James River families, faculty/staff, and supporters if you ask for this. At checkout, simply ask them to record your purchase for the benefit of James River Day School.