Summer Reading Requirements
Reading Requirements for Rising First through Third Graders
- Rising 1st graders - 2 points
- Rising 2nd graders - 4 points
- Rising 3rd graders - 6 points
Reading Requirements for Rising Fourth through Eighth Graders
All fourth graders and middle school students are required to read the following:
- the grade-specific title shown below, PLUS
- one nonfiction book of the student’s choice at the student’s reading level or above, AND
- one independent book choice at the student’s reading level or above.
- Rising 4th Graders must read one book from either series
The Questioneer Book Series or Dragons in a Bag Series
- Rising 5th Graders must read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo.
- Rising 6th Graders must read Masterminds by Gordan Korman.
- Rising 7th graders must read one of the following:
- Holes by Louis Sachar
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- Where the Red Fern Grows: The Story of Two Dogs and a Boy by Wilson Rawls
- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- Rising 8th graders must read Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Givens Books gives the school a small percentage back on purchases made by James River families, faculty/staff, and supporters if you ask for this. At checkout, simply ask them to record your purchase for the benefit of James River Day School.
How to Take AR Quizzes at Home
- Click on this link. Bookmark it on your computer for future reference.
- Click on I'm a student.
- Type in your username and password.
- Click on the orange AR box.
- Type in the search box the title of the book you have read.
- Take the test.
If you need your username and password or if you have any trouble, please contact Betsy Rhodes at [email protected]
Note: If needed, Renaissance ID is JRDS-31RC.